Graphic Design Career Information
Graphic designers may specialize in desktop publishing or corporate visual communications or may prefer the digital areas of animation, video game, web site or multimedia design.
- Three out of 10 designers are self-employed-almost 5 times the proportion for all professional and related occupations.
- In graphic design, employers seek individuals with a 2- or 4-year degree, with a portfolio demonstrating strength in conceptual design and computer graphics.
- Overall, the employment of designers is expected to grow at an above-average pace, between 21% and 35% per year through the year 2010. In addition to those that result from employment growth, many job openings will arise from the need to replace designers who leave the field
- Demand for graphic designers should increase because of the rapidly increasing demand for Web-based graphics and the expansion of the video entertainment market, including television, movies, videotape, and made-for-Internet outlets
- Keen competition is expected for most jobs, because many talented individuals are attracted to careers as designers. Individuals with little or no formal education in design, as well as those who lack creativity and perseverance, will find it very difficult to establish and maintain a career in graphic design
Career graphic designers use a variety of print, electronic, and film media to create designs that meet clients' commercial needs. Using computer software, they develop the overall layout and design of magazines, newspapers, journals, corporate reports, publications and digital media.
They also may:
Careers in graphic design include:
- produce promotional displays and marketing brochures
- design distinctive company logos for products and businesses
- develop signs and signage systems-called environmental graphics
- develop material to appear on Internet home pages.
- produce the credits that appear before and after television programs and movies
- Production artist
- Graphic designer
- Layout artist
- Web graphic designer
- Digital graphic designer
- Desk-top publisher
- Multimedia designer
- Digital video production
- Video game designer